Savory Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
1 large pork shoulder, around 5-10 lbs of meat
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, rough chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup lager beer
1 tablespoon Morton & Bassett Chili Powder
2 teaspoons Morton & Bassett Ground Cumin
2 teaspoons Morton & Bassett Oregano
- Juice from 1 orange
- Juice from 2 limes
- For garnish: jalapeno, limes, white onion, green onion, cilantro
- Cut pork shoulder down into 4 inch cubes, then pat them with salt and pepper.
- Turn on instant pot to “Saute” and add cooking oil.
- In batches, brown the pork pieces just lightly, about 3 minutes each side. Set aside, then add onion to the instant pot and saute until translucent (4-5 minutes).
- Add in the garlic and continue to saute, mixing constantly for 1 minute. Add the beer, juice from an orange, and juice from a lime, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and pork. Stir well and add the lid!
Set instant pot to pressure cook on high for 30 minutes. Once done, let decompress for 20-30 minutes. Pork should be falling apart and juicy when you open the instant pot.
Spread the pork out on a baking sheet, and add a squeeze of lime. Broil the meat for 10 minutes until you start to see crispy bits.
- Serve as is or with tortillas and toppings of choice!