Red Wine Poached Pears
3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Anjou pears, peeled
- 2 cups red wine (merlot or cabernet)
1 Morton & Bassett Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Morton & Bassett Star Anise
- 2 tsp Morton Bassett Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Peel of one orange
- Begin by using a peeler to remove the skins from the pears before cooking.
- In a medium pot combine the red wine, sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise, vanilla extract, orange juice, and orange peel.
- Cook on medium heat to dissolve the sugar for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the liquid to a simmer and add in the pears. Cook for 40 mins, rotating pears throughout the cooking process (this will insure a nice even red color).
- Using a ladle, gently remove pears from the liquid and serve.