Gluten-Free Citrus, Almond, & Olive Oil Cake
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup raw sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons citrus zest (orange, grapefruit, lemon or a mix works well!)
- ¼ cup fresh citrus juice (orange, grapefruit, lemon or a mix works well!)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Morton & Bassett Pure Almond Extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup sorghum or millet flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt or pink himalayan sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons citrus juice
- 1 tablespoon rum, optional
- For garnish: sliced citrus, chopped almonds, optional
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8” cake pan with olive oil, coconut oil, or your favorite cooking spray, and line the base with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and frothy.
Add the citrus juice and zest, olive oil, and almond extract. Whisk again until fully combined.
Add the almond flour, sorghum or millet flour, flax meal, baking powder, and salt. Stir to fully incorporate.
Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden on top and fully set (doesn’t wiggle when you move the pan). Set on a wire rack to completely cool.
Place the honey, citrus juice, and rum in a small saucepan over low heat until thick and syrupy.
Drizzle the glaze over the cake and serve with citrus slices and chopped almonds, if desired.