Springtime Udon Soup
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 strip of kombu seaweed
- 1 1/2 cups of dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 package of Udon noodles
- 6 large asparagus
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 6 scallions
- 1/2 lemon," sliced
- 1 teaspoon Morton & Bassett Sesame Seeds
2 teaspoons Morton & Bassett Red Chili Flakes
- Cook the Udon noodles according to instructions, drain, cool and set aside.
- Prepare the broth: wipe the kombu off with a damp cloth. Heat water and kombu in a medium pot and bring to a high simmer. Remove and discard the kombo before the water boils.
- Add in the dried shiitake mushrooms and turn your heat to low, bringing the broth to a low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the mirin, soy sauce, and ginger.
- Blanch the asparagus and red pepper slices.
Place a few handfuls of noodles into a soup bowl until it is half full. Gently place the toppings on top of the noodles and ladle in broth until desired amount is achieved.
- Garnish with scallions, toasted sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, and slice of lemon. Enjoy!