Celebration Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup full fat yogurt
- 4 eggs
1 teaspoon Morton & Bassett Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Morton & Bassett Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Morton & Bassett Ground Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 3 large grated carrots (about 2 cups when grated)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk or cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
For the Frosting
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of two round 8 inch cake tins with parchment paper, then grease the whole pan with butter.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients, and mix until thoroughly combined. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, and whisk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Then incorporate in 1 1/2 cups of pecans and all the grated carrots. Pour into prepared cake tins and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, blend together all the frosting ingredients until smooth, add 1/2 teaspoon extra milk if needed to loosen the frosting.
- Cool cakes completely before frosting. Add frosting to the top of one cake, smooth, and then add the second layer. Then add frosting to the sides by holding the flat edge of a serving utensil still as the cake rotates to flatten the frosting even across the whole cake and top. Add pecans to the bottom half of the cake by pressing lightly with your hand.