Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Morton & Bassett Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Morton & Bassett Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Pumpkin seeds, red pepper flakes, and/or heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 375F
Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise and place each half cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 35-45 minutes until a fork easily pierces the squash.
In a large pot, add olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, simmer for 5-7 minutes.
After removing the squash from the oven and letting it cool., scoop out the seeds from the squash and discard. Scoop out the squash and add it to the onions and garlic.
Add vegetable broth and 3-4 more cups of water depending on how thick you like the consistency. Continue to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
Using an immersion blender (or in batches in a regular blender) puree the soup thoroughly.
Serve topped with cream, pumpkin seeds, and additional red pepper flakes.